It is quite surprising to know how frequently hernias occur!!! For example, the common inguinal hernia affects more than 27% of men and 3% of women who experience hernia problems. Typically, hernias require surgical procedures in most cases to fix them.
Patients often wonder if they can exercise and do other physical activities after hearing that surgical intervention is required. There are many questions patients have after hernia surgery, such as; can I play football after hernia surgery? Can I lift weights again?
Take the necessary precautions suggested by your doctor post hernia surgery for complete and successful recovery. You can safely resume your regular exercises and sports after your recovery, says Dr V Pareek, one of the most experienced & highly skilled laparoscopic surgeons in Hyderabad. He performed hundreds of hernia surgeries successfully. His approach to treating any type of hernia is always safe, efficient, and patient-centred, including postoperative care and recovery.
Dos and Don’ts After Inguinal Hernia Surgery
The inguinal hernia occurs when a section of an organ pushes through the abdominal opening. The protruding organ is pushed back into place by a surgeon in order to fix the hernia. Sometimes, during the hernia repair, a surgical mesh is placed to strengthen the weak abdominal wall and prevent recurrence of hernias in future. A hernia can be repaired either through traditional open surgery or by a minimally-invasive surgical procedure called laparoscopic surgery.
Laparoscopic surgery is the first preferred treatment option to treat hernias because of its benefits, such as less downtime and quicker recovery. However, after undergoing any type of hernia surgery, the patient needs to take appropriate care and should follow the postoperative instructions given by the doctor.
Here are some of the Do’s and Don’ts one should follow to avoid complications during the initial recovery stages of hernia repair surgery:
- Do NOT lift heavy objects for at least two weeks after surgery. (follow your physician’s instructions).
- Do NOT perform strenuous activities for a minimum of four to six weeks (or follow your surgeon’s advice). If you lift heavy weights too soon after hernia surgery, it puts excess pressure on the surgical area, and the hernia recurs again along with other complications.
- Do NOT miss the follow-up visits. They are important to evaluate your recovery process.
Following your surgeon’s approval and assuming your surgery and recovery went as planned, here is what you can do:
- DO plan to resume your routine (not too strenuous) within a week or two after surgery.
- DO keep moving slowly; walk around five or six times a day for at least five to ten minutes. Blood clots in the lungs can be prevented by practising breathing exercises. You may also be advised to wear compression by the doctor.
- Do take the prescribed medicines from time to time and drink enough water to stay hydrated.
- DO call your doctor if you’re experiencing any discomfort or having any concerns or questions — particularly when you start to resume your normal activities.
Surgery is the most common and fastest way to address hernia problems. The majority of people can return home the same day or the next day following surgery. However, it is important to follow the surgeon’s instructions for a safe and quick recovery. Consult the doctor immediately if you experience any severe problems before or after the surgery.
To know more detailed information about laparoscopy for inguinal hernia surgery in Hyderabad, consult Dr Venugopal Pareek, one of the best laparoscopic for hernia repair in Hyderabad. He has performed hundreds of hernia surgeries successfully, irrespective of their type. If you think you are at risk of having a hernia, call +91 91-777-77715 to schedule an appointment and get evaluated.
Dr. VenuGopalPareek is one of the best Bariatric Surgeon in Hyderabad. Trust us for all bariatric procedures like gastric bypass, sleeve gastrectomy, adjustable gastric band, and biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch. Also we are adept at with minimally invasive surgery (Laparoscopic surgery). Consult us for any surgical procedures which can be performed using Laparoscopy for faster recovery and reduced hemorrhaging/pain.