Mini Gastric Bypass
As the name suggests, mini gastric bypass surgery is a simplified form of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery (RNY). A thorough review of the studies that specifically evaluated the effectiveness of MGBP shows that the procedure is shorter, easier, less expensive and has lower risk and equally successful outcomes as RNY. Even though MGBP sounds like an obvious choice between the two procedures, there are a few signifigant reasons why this might not always be the case.
- Mini gastric bypass usually bypasses much more of the intestine than a standard gastric bypass which could lead to more vitamin and mineral deficiencies.
- Unlike gastric bypass surgery, digestive enzymes and bile are not diverted away from the stomach after mini gastric bypass.
The Difference Between Mini Gastric Bypass
How did your weight & health change after bariatric surgery?
- It’s costs may be lower than other types of surgery, but experienced surgeons are likely to charge an amount similar to gastric bypass
- It may be simpler and safer than other surgeries
- Need for hospitalization following surgery appears to be lower than with other surgeries
- It has a similar impact on obesity health issues as Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery
Preservation of Pyloric Valve
The Gastric Bypass is mostly restrictive, but there is a malabsorptive component to it that helps achieve more weight loss than with restrictive operations alone.
The Sleeve Gastrectomy operation is done with 5 small incisions, and takes 45 minutes to an hour to do. Dr. Smith uses a small tube to size the Sleeve so that the diameter of the resulting stomach pouch is not too small or too large. He does a “leak test“ in the operating room before he completes the operation. Having the Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy usually involves just an overnight stay in the hospital. There is no drain or nasogastric tube. You are able to return to work, resume heavy lifting and strenuous activity, in most cases, in about two weeks from the time of surgery. If you are able to do light duty at work, there is the possibility of going back to work sooner than two weeks.