When Do You Need A Parathyroid Surgery
There are different types of disorders that results due to over-activity in parathyroid glands, and at times recovery with the use of drugs is not possible. These glands are located just behind the thyroid and an ultrasound or sestiamibi scan to. This result a calcium imbalance in the body and this leads the body into developing hypercalcemia, kidney stones, osteoporosis, and other such conditions.
The first step in treating conditions of hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism is treating with medication, which might not be suitable for recovery from conditions with high calcium levels.
Sign & Symptoms of Parathyroid Diseases
These signs make it apparent that a body is suffering
• Bones turning fragile (osteoporosis)
• Kidney stones
• Excessive urination
• Abdominal pain
• Weakness & Fatigue
• Bone and Joint pains
• Frequent illness for unexplainable reasons
• Loss of Appetite
Parathyroid Surgery – Parathyroidectomy for all Parathyroid Diseases
The process to remove affected parathyroid glands with surgical processes is known as parathyroidectomy. It is essential use this surgery in cases of primary hyperthyroidism, which can’t be treated using medications.
At first, a patient is given anesthesia to make him fall asleep. Post the patient looses consciousness, and the doctor makes large incisions to retract the neck sideways. This helps him to examine parathyroid glands. Incisions are usually made of 6-7 inches in size, so that a doctor could clearly perform variety of functions. Enlarged glands are then removed.
A patient is hospitalized for some nights post parathyroid surgery, in all cases.
• It is essential to monitor Blood calcium levels of the patient post surgery for a few days.
• Bandages must be kept for at least two days after the operation.
• Excessive scrubbing on the wounds must be avoided at all cases.
• Numbness, swelling, tingling, discoloration, hardness, and redness might be observed in the areas of incisions, which a patient shouldn’t be worried about.
• If a patient observes constipation, stool softner must be used.